31 December 2013

End of year 2013

Seeing as its new years eve I thought I would give a final update with some statistics. As you can see from the BSrac (BOINC Stats recent average credit) column I have been concentrating on Asteroids.


For next year I'd like (weather permitting) to be able to concentrate on GPUgrid and if they ever come back Orbit followed by the others. I figure that GPUgrid can help solve medical mysteries and Orbit can help search for near earth objects that could potentially wipe out the planet.


Future plans
As always I keep an eye out for GPU upgrades if they make sense. That is they need to provide a performance gain without using more electricity than my GTX670's (which use 185 watts max).

In the low-power computing area I have a couple of Parallella's coming. Maybe, one day. There should also be more multi-core ARM based machines out next year. We will see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you use any mobile computing devices with ARM processors at the moment? If so, any plans to run BOINC on them?

Mark G James said...

I don't think mobile devices are good crunchers. They have problems with battery life and restricted memory and cost more to buy.

That's why I prefer the Raspberry Pi and the Parallella (coming). They have a proper power supply and tend to have a more traditional operating system, usually Linux. It makes them easier to setup, update and use while still being low-power devices.