25 April 2021

25th of April

Farm status
CPU only
Running Rosetta work

Nvidia GPUs
Running Rosetta (CPU) overnight and Einstein (GPU) in the mornings

Raspberry Pis
Running Rosetta and Einstein 24/7

For news on the Raspberry Pis see Marks Rpi Cluster


Other news
I installed one of the WD SN850 SSD's into the Ampere Altra. I've got it on the shelving unit where most of the Intel machines were sitting. I've powered it up. Its very loud for a 2U machine. While I managed to get it to boot off a USB thumb drive it wouldn't install Debian Buster. I've downloaded the Debian Bullseye image and will try that next. I have also downloaded an Ubuntu server image that I can try. Due to the noise I can't run it when other people are around.

The other two WD SN850's were installed into the Ryzen 5900X machines (one each) and I did a clean install of the operating system and BOINC on them.


Graphics cards
I am keeping an eye on my usual computer hardware shops to try and get RTX 3060 Ti cards. I've been looking for months now. One shop has RTX 3060 (non-Ti) but they want more money for them than the Ti version. They won't take orders unless they have stock and they never seem to have stock on the Ti versions.

Hopefully with Etherium changing to Proof of Stake soon and Nvidia throttling Etherium mining on their cards that should mean the crypominers lose interest, or they will switch to some other flavor of bitcoin. I won't buy off eBay or similar sites as you don't get a warranty and I don't want to support scalping.

No comments: