27 December 2014

I7-5820k builds

These are the 6 core/12 thread machines that I got just before Christmas. They are replacing a couple of i7-970 based machines with basically the same configuration, just newer. I spent Boxing Day decommissioning the old machines and moving boxes around, installing software, etc.

I would have liked to get the top of the line CPU but the price difference was almost $800, to gain extra PCIe channels and 1 extra core/2 threads.

About the only thing I might adjust at this point is to move one of the top fans to the front of the case as I think the air-flow is out of balance, that is there are more fans removing air than drawing air into the case.

Specs:
Fractal Designs ARC Midi R2 case
Seasonic 750w modular power supply
Asus X99A motherboard
Intel Core i7-5820k CPU (6 cores/12 threads @ 3.3Ghz)
16Gb (4 x 4Gb) Kingston DDR4 memory @ 2133Mhz
Corsair H80i sealed water cooling, replaced fans with Noctua
2 x EVGA GTX750Ti graphics cards
Pre-loved WD Black 1Tb HDD
Intel 520 series 120Gb SSD
Generic DVD reader



No comments: