06 July 2019

6th of July

Farm status
Intel GPUs
Five running Einstein 02AS20 work overnight

Nvidia GPUs
Two running Seti work

Raspberry Pis
Twelve running Einstein BRP4 work
Four running Seti work


Ryzen 3 launch
Tomorrow (Sunday the 7th of July) we're expecting the official launch of the 3rd generation Ryzen. AMD have already released some information but not the full line up so it will be interesting to see what models they have available.


Debian Buster release
Today is meant to be the official release of Debian Buster, even though the Raspberry Pi foundation released their version of it, Raspbian Buster, last week.

I downloaded the latest installer (RC2 at the time) from Debian and clean installed it on one of the i3's that I am using as a guinea pig. It couldn't display the desktop properly so I've raised a bug for that. I had a problem with ntp always using the DHCP supplied server which was also raised as a bug. I suspect they have changed the way they start ntp so its possible its just a configuration issue. I can live with the ntp issue for the time being, but the desktop display I consider a show-stopper so I will be sticking with Debian Stretch for a while.


Other purchases
I am sounding out a supplier or two around a flash-based storage server to add to the network. The idea is to have a fast storage server and a slower storage server. I already have a disk-based storage server (ie the slower one) and this will allow for quick file access. I'm waiting on a couple of quotes, but I am sure it won't be cheap, even with a minimal number of SSDs.

I was reading a review of a Gigabyte branded flash-based server R181-NA0 here which prompted me to ask for quotes. It seems nobody sells the Gigabyte ones in Australia.

I had considered the ASUS Hyper M.2 card but even if you put 4 x 2TB NVMe SSD's on it and run them in a RAID configuration you can't get past 6TB usable unless you have multiple cards. The Hyper M.2 only works on their motherboards and needs a PCIe x16 slot.

No comments: