22 August 2021

Running slow

Farm status
CPU only

Nvidia GPUs
Idle. Have been doing some Einstein in the morning.

Raspberry Pis
Pi3's running Einstein. Pi4's running Einstein and Rosetta.

For news on the Raspberry Pis see Marks Rpi Cluster

Other news
Its been quite warm so I've had the CPU only machines off. Partly due to the weather and partly due to Rosetta not having any work. Rosetta now have work.

As mentioned in my last post I have a 10GbE switch on back-order. It is supposedly arriving next week but given all the chip shortages I expect it won't. All of the compute nodes should have at least a 2.5GbE connection but now some machines are back on 1GbE. The new switch should have an SFP+ port so I may be able to use a fibre connection between the old and new 10GbE switches. While the speeds are the same SFP and SFP+ have much better latency than cat6 cabling.

OS upgrades
Debian released bullseye on the 14th of August. I've found a bug where the desktop has high CPU usage if you log into the console as root, at least on amd64 with the mate desktop. I've raised a bug report for it (#991994) although there is no acknowledgement they're looking at it. They might be swamped with issues.

I have upgraded one of the CPU only machines this morning, well it was a clean install really. This gives an updated BOINC client and Linux kernel as well as the various OS updates.

Pi-hole doesn't work properly under bullseye at the moment. You can install it if you disable the OS version checking and then the pihole-FTL service doesn't start automatically. One of their scripts is using the "service restart" command which no longer exists. I changed it to a "systemctl restart" which fixes the restart issue at least. The Raspberry Pi Foundation also haven't updated to bullseye yet. I suspect the pi-hole developers will wait until that happens before they update their code. Pi-Hole was originally written for the Raspberry Pi but is also available for other ARM and x86_64 Linux versions.

I had some issues with squid not being able to create its cache directories, but after purging it and reinstalling managed to get it to work.

No comments: