17 October 2021

17th of October

Farm status
CPU only
Off

Nvidia GPUs
Running Einstein and Milkyway

Raspberry Pis
Pi3's running Einstein. Pi4's running Einstein and Rosetta.

For news on the Raspberry Pis see Marks Rpi Cluster


RTX 3060 Ti
In the wake of CPL Online cancelling my order for an EVGA RTX 3060 Ti, I went to check their website today. It seems they now have stock and the price has gone up. I think they cancelled my previous order because it was at a lower price and they didn't want to lose money.

They didn't list any quantity limit like the other online computer stores so I ordered two. If they honour this order then I will be able to replace the remaining GTX 1660 Ti's and all the Nvidia GPU machines will be upgraded to 3060 Ti's. I prefer the machines to have the same configuration where possible.


BOINC certificate issues
The Lets Encrypt certificate that a number of BOINC projects use expired. This effects the Windows client as it has a bundled certificate store. Linux uses an OS-wide one. They are now trying to get an emergency release out with the updated certificate bundle. See the main BOINC message board for work arounds until they get a new version out.


Possible time issue
There is a bug with gpsd versions 3.20 through to 3.22. Gpsd translates the messages from GPS's that many NTP hosts use for an accurate time source. The bug is gpsd is expected to jump back 1024 weeks from the 23rd of October 2021.

I raised a bug report with Debian and they have a patched 3.22-4 in buster-backports and bullseye. Note the -4 in the version number. I don't know the status for other Linux distros.

See gpsd issue 144 for more details.

No comments: