26 April 2020

26th of April

Farm status
Intel GPUs
Running Rosetta work overnight

Nvidia GPUs
Two running Rosetta work overnight

Raspberry Pis
Two running Rosetta. Six running Einstein work.

For news on the Raspberry Pis see Marks Rpi Cluster


Parts orders
All my orders came at once. Computer parts that is. That was Noctua 140 MM fans, memory kits and a replacement X10SRi-F motherboard.

I installed two of the memory kits (2x16GB)  into the two Nvidia GPU machines that are running Rosetta work, leaving them with two free memory slots. I didn't realize they had HyperX Predator originally which meant I couldn't use all 4 memory slots because the heat spreader on them is so tall it gets in the way of the CPU fan. The new kits are HyperX Fury which has a lower profile heat spreader.

I installed a Noctua fan in the front of one of the Intel GPU machines and it was louder than the one it replaced. I went back to using the original case fan. The Noctua fans run at 1200 RPM but the original fans run at 1000 RPM. I didn't try the low noise or ultra low noise adapters that the Noctua's come with because they simply slow down the fan reducing its air flow. I might try the Noctua's in the back of the case where its not so loud.

I haven't even looked at the Supermicro X10SRi-F motherboard yet.


Another build
While checking my usual PC parts online shops I noticed the Ryzen 9 3900X is on sale, so I decided I would build one as a CPU compute node.

Part Desc
Case Fractal Designs Meshify C
CPU Ryzen 3900X
Cooler Noctua NH-U12S
Disk/SSD Samsung EVO Plus 1TB
Graphics ASUS GT710 2GB
Memory
Motherboard ASUS X570-P/CSM
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 550

I didn't buy memory. I will use the two 32GB memory kits that were going to go into the Nvidia GPU machines. The GT710 is a passively cooled card but it only needs to display a desktop.

No comments: