09 April 2011

9th of April

Nothing this week.

Slow internet
I tracked this down to IPv6. Seeing as the old file server was Windows XP based it knew nothing about IPv6, however Windows Server 2008 R2 does. My network hardware and ISP don't support IPv6.

There is a registry change one can make to disable it, or you can right-click on your network adapter and choose properties -> IPv6 and untick it. This works fine until you reboot and then its back again.

Microsoft also have a "Fix it" that applies the registry fix, called MicrosoftFixit50444. The registry fix doesn't appear to work whatever way you apply it. Its probably been broken since Service Pack 1 as the fix pre-dates SP1. Despite that i've run it on all the Windows 7 machines and the file server.

It seems you need to power-off the machine for the fix to work. A reboot isn't sufficent. Having powered them all off and restarted them seems to have resolved the issue.

BOINC testing
We got 6.12.22  this week. Mostly screen saver fixes, but looks like they might get this one released soon. I've upgraded all the machines with it this weekend.

The memory for the i7-970 machine is on back order with Kingston. They think it will ship next week. Until it arrives i've been leaving it switched off.

Project news - Einstein
They are transitioning to a new run of the gravity wave search, which will no doubt add pressure to their servers as we need to download new data packs. They are currently looking at their scheduler with a view to not removing old data packs from client machines until all old work units have been completed.

Project news - Climate Prediction
They have a new type of work unit modelling the role of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC). They use more detailed ocean rules, as such they take more time to complete. Previously they would only run these on a super computer, however they are now doing this via distributed computing.


Anonymous said...

Most people would suggest this or this

Mark G James said...

As I mentioned the Microsoft fixit did the trick. A registry cleaner wouldn't fix it because the registry was not corrupt, it simply needed a value changing (and a reboot to pickup changes).