15 January 2012

15th of January

BOINC testing
We got 7.0.8 yesterday. This fixes the problem with the buttons auto-resizing. They still auto-resize they simply removed the divider bar that was user adjustable. Apart from that its still got the issue of not fetching enough GPU work.

I put 7.0.7 on a machine that also runs GPUgrid earlier in the week. I enabled the BOINC screen saver. My first GPUgrid work unit crashed after running for 5 and a half hours. I am not too sure why but suspect the BOINC screen saver. I have since disabled the BOINC screen saver and its completed some more work units successfully.

For comparison I have 2 identical machines running the same projects. The only difference was that one has BOINC 7.0.7 and the other has 6.12.34 installed. As expected they have been behaving pretty much the same.


Farm news
The weather cooled off again for the last 2 days (and its been raining). That meant the farm can get going so I have been running 3 of the machines non-stop since. They have managed to push past 49 million for GPUgrid, so its getting a bit of work done. I am taking a few days off next week so the farm will be off while I am away.

No news from the computer shop so I will start chasing them tomorrow to see where various things are at.


GPU Users Group
Their 45 HDD fund raiser was stuck on the $1500 dollar figure so I made another donation to get it below $1000. A few other people have also made some donations since then and it has finally reached its target. Matt Lebofsky from Seti@home has posted a couple of pictures of the JBOD in the Technical News forum which can be found here: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=66635


iPad port of BOINC
See two posts back for the link to this. Its been download a few times from different countries, so hopefully someone can make a working app out of it. I don't know how long I can leave it on my web hosting site as it uses up over 40% of my disk space limit, so I would like to get as wide an audience as possible to grab a copy.

No comments: