19 August 2013

19th of August

Farm news
Crunching has shifted to Asteroids for the moment due to the Seti challenge that I wrote about last week. Work requests aren't getting much work so I have left a dual-GPU machine running it while the others run Asteroids.

Belkin make a dual USB power supply that is rated for 2.1 amps per USB port, more than enough to run a Raspberry Pi or Parallella. The sales rep in the shop was rather worried that it would only work for those products listed on the box (Apple products) and tried to talk me out of getting it. It seems fine running one Raspberry Pi at the moment. I will plug another one in and see how it goes but I am not expecting any problems. Assuming it works out I will get a couple more to free up some power points.

Still waiting on the KVM cable to get the newest i7 going. Hopefully it will arrive during the week.

Also still waiting on the Parallella boards to arrive. There hasn't been any news about them shipping yet but here's hoping.


BOINC testing
We got to 7.2.11 this week. No major changes, just some minor tweaks around notices and the rest is mostly Mac related. I have installed it on the iGPU machines and haven't noticed any issues so far.


Project news - Asteroids
I mentioned they released optimised apps last week. This week they have released an SSE3 version of their app which is taking about half the time (approximately 35 mins) that the optimised app takes per work unit. There is still an AVX version to come but that is waiting on some changes to the BOINC client.

No comments: