12 March 2016

12th of March

Farm status
Intel GPUs
One running overnight

Nvidia GPUs
All off

Parallellas and Pis
Running Einstein BRP4 work


Farm news
My 4 Pi3's turned up today. Unfortunately I only have one spare heatsink so used it. Cut-over from a Pi2 to Pi3 was straight forward. Shutdown Pi2, remove SD card, back it up and insert into Pi3. Start up Pi3 and off it went. I updated the firmware (sudo rpi-update) and that was it. Heat is a big problem though. It went like this:

Idle
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=49.9'C

Full load
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=61.8'C
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=68.2'C
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=74.1'C
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=77.4'C
pi@xxx ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=81.1'C

As you can see it gets HOT. At that point I pointed a desk fan at it which seems to have got it back to 52 degrees. Room temperature was 28 degrees. You'll need a heatsink and a fan.

It looks like when my official Pi cases arrive I will need to do some surgery and add a fan. It will probably be something like I did to the Parallella (see my 19 May 2014 blog post to get an idea).

While doing a bit of research online I came across the C4 Labs Invasion case which I think looks pretty cool. You can see it better at http://c4labs.net/products/invasion-for-raspberry-pi-2-and-b



No comments: