26 February 2022

26th of February

Farm status
CPU only
Off

Nvidia GPUs
Off

Raspberry Pis
Off


Other news
Its not quite as bad as it seems. I have been doing bursts of work between the hot weather. It has also been raining heavily for the last week. The Nvidia GPU machines have been doing Einstein and Milkyway work when they can. I even managed to fire up the Ampere Altra for a couple of hours today (doing Einstein BRP4 work). The main limitation with the Altra is the noise it makes.

Last week saw Einstein@home run out of BRP4 work so all the Pis ended up with the Gamma Ray work which takes around 27 hours a work unit on a Pi4. I haven't tried running these on the Altra as I cannot commit to have the machine running for 14 hours which is my estimate on how long they'll take. They could be quicker as the Altra has faster memory (DDR4 @ 3.2Ghz) and more memory channels than a Pi4.


Storage servers
In unrelated news I am looking for replacement motherboards/CPUs for the storage servers. The existing ones work but I am hoping for something more modern. One of them currently has an i3-8100 (4c/4t) and is limited to 64GB of memory.

The Xeon E-2578 with an ASUS P12R-E motherboard and 128GB of DDR4 @ 3.2GHz memory looked promising but there doesn't seem to be stock anywhere.

No comments: