10 December 2023

10th of December

Farm status
CPU only
Off

Nvidia GPUs
Off

Raspberry Pis
Running overnight.

For more information on the Raspberry Pis see Marks Rpi Cluster

 

File corruption bugs
Debian discovered the kernel they are pushing out in their 12.3 point release (kernel 6.1.64) has an ext4 file system corruption bug. It was fixed in the 6.1.66 kernel but Debian haven't updated to it yet.

OpenZFS also has a file corruption bug which is fixed with OpenZFS 2.1.14 (or 2.2.2 if you are running a 2.2 version). Strangely Debian have put OpenZFS 2.1.14 into the bookworm-backports repo. One would have thought they would include it in the Debian 12.3 point release that came out on the 9th of December or offered it as a security fix for bookworm.

The bad news is I have a few servers with the effected version of OpenZFS. However to get it one needs to be rewriting files on the disks too fast for the underlying device(s) which I don't do. I have applied the Debian 12.3 point release to a number of machines so I likely have the ext4 issue. I haven't seen any problems so far, so maybe it is only an issue under some combination of conditions.


Other news
I still haven't assembled the Ryzen 7900 machines. I need to get a couple of Contact Frames (sometimes called Secure Frames) for the CPU socket before I install them.

I went on a cruise for a few weeks so the farm was off during that period. Most of the farm is off due to hot weather at the moment. Yesterday hit 39 degrees C. Unfortunately this is one of the joys of an Australian summer coupled with global warming.


No comments: