07 August 2010

7th of August

Milestones
This weekend I managed to hit 1 million for ClimatePrediction. Below is my certificate.




BOINC testing
I've been running 6.11.4 for a couple of weeks now. There have been a few changes but no new build for over a week. Apart from some differences in the messages (now known as the event log) and such (new notices tab) its behaving pretty well. I've got it installed on all the machines except the XP ones (they are running the last "recommended" build - 6.10.58). They are still working on some of the features.


Maul back in the shop
Well he's back to the shop. This time its getting a CM Storm Sniper case and a 750w Seasonic power supply, which will make it the same as all the others. I still haven't worked out why it does its random reboots so this is probably the last thing to try.


Obi-Wan flat
Its been sitting around doing nothing for a while. When I fired it up again a couple of weeks ago I noticed the clock wasn't working. It needed to get a new battery. It takes a fairly standard battery, but of course it had to be in the most inaccessable place possible. Next to the PCIe slot which was occupied by a GTS250. After much jiggling I managed to get the GTS250 out and pop the battery out of its socket (at least it was in one). Down to the electronics shop to get a couple of new ones, pop it in. Another lot of jiggling to get the GTS250 back in and away we go. Amazingly it decided to work after that. I should be right for another 2 and a 1/2 years, which is how long the previous battery lasted.


Drobo
Well I got it and a few 2Tb hard disks. I ran out of ports on the back of the gigabit switch so i've had to buy another couple of them too. Its working as expected.


Seti snap fund raiser
It seems the guys at Seti were going to remove a couple of their old servers due to reliability issues. One of the regular volunteers, msattler, ran a snap fund raiser with various guys donating $1000 each so they could get a replacement server. Unfortunately I missed it (only spotted the message thread this morning) but will see if they need some other bits such as disk drives or memory that I can help with.

No comments: