25 April 2018

25th of April

Farm status
Intel GPUs
Running Einstein and Seti work

Nvidia GPUs
Two running Seti work

Raspberry Pis
All running Einstein BRP4 work


Other news
I have been able to run some bursts of Seti work and Einstein overnight (their tasks take 9 to 10 hours). Einstein has started processing their 2nd observation run of Ligo gravity waves so that will keep things busy for 3 or 4 months. They have access to the Atlas cluster as well as what additional processing power the rest of us add.

AMD released the Zen+ CPUs which use a slightly smaller process size (12 nano meter) and so has allowed them to increase the speed of their CPUs while using the same power as before. They have also tweaked the design a bit to improve the cache hit rates. I don’t think its worthwhile upgrading just for a speed increase.

I still haven’t managed to swap out the i7-6700’s for the i7-8700’s as my PC installer guy seems to have disappeared. Time to find another one I think. At the moment I have one i7-8700 running and seven i7-6700’s which are a bit faster but less cores. There are another five i7-8700’s sitting in boxes.

The Nvidia GPU machines got an updated driver so I have installed it on one machine. The last time they pushed an updated driver out it kept dropping the GPU into low power mode so I am a bit wary of updated drivers as its difficult to get back to the previous version.

No comments: